Friday, September 25, 2015

The "Orchard"

What my tree will hopefully someday look like...
As I mentioned in my last post, on a whim I bought another tree to add to the so-called orchard that i've tried to piece together tree-by-tree.  I confess I don't know a damn thing about growing fruit trees and imagine is isn't as easy as one might think.  But like most aspiring homesteaders and small farmers, the idea of having a backyard (or front yard) full of beautiful, fruit filled trees takes precedence over first educating oneself  before starting such an endeavor.  But whatever... 

I did however, just this morning, order a book to get me started since I now have seven trees in the "Orchard."  Its titled Storey's Guide to Growing Organic Orchard Fruit. I thought it was a good place to start. If anyone has a better recommendation I would love some direction...

So the tree is in the ground and has been watered twice now.  Does it look good?  Not so much, but as I said, it didn't look so hot when I bought it and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for springtime flower blossoms.

What is a Keiffer Pear tree?  Well, according to the Arbor Day Foundation, its a hardy tree, grows fast, and is disease resistant.  It also has a crisp flavor, is excellent for canning, baking and preserves, and it produces fruit in late September to October.  That all sounds good to me.


What my tree looks like in reality...
The light was bad, and I'll try to get another picture over the weekend, but here is my poor little pear tree. Let's hope it grows and someday thrives on the farm. ~A



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1