Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The winds are changing...

A little seasonal folklore...

"When deer are in grey coat in October, expect a hard winter"
"Much rain in October makes for much wind in December"
"A warm October means a cold February"
 

 Last fall,  all the wooly-bear caterpillars were pure black.  I haven't seen ANY this year so far. Maybe last year's polar vortex, winter-from-hell froze them all dead? 

Last fall, the first snowfall was October 24th.  We've had quite a bit of rain this October, but so far, no snow.  I'm glad.

I do hope this winter is nothing as miserable as last year's.  Although the animals did impress me with how well they coped and withstood it. 



The first frost of fall 2014

 
 
I wonder if the spider froze?
I wouldn't say its been a warm October.  And official winter is still two months away. But we did have our first frost about ten days ago.  Its dark in the early mornings now, and dark early in the evenings. It feels a bit like winter.  I still haven't gotten any wood in yet, but I do have a loft full of hay.  I hope you all are healthy, happily getting your wood stacked, and filling your pantries.  And may this winter be more kind to all of us. 
 
~A





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1