Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thought Spot - Start Small

It seems to me, that when people buy their first farm, they have all sorts of ideas and dreams, and want to jump right into it all “gung-ho!” I know a person (actually several) who got their first farm and immediately bought or took in all sorts of animals.  Parrots, bunnies, chickens, pigs, ducks, turkeys, stray dogs, sheep, cows, horses, miniature horses, you name it – this person had it.  There must have been at least 200 head of animals on this little farm.  I’m telling you, it was like a small version of Noah’s Ark. I totally get this. I wanted to do the same thing. Really I did!  There is just such a huge urge to want to try everything, and try it now! Fortunately, my bank account wouldn’t allow a re-creation of the Ark.  So I started small, sort of (If you don’t count chickens, that is). By the way, after a year and a half or so, and probably the headache of huge feed bills and utter animal chaos, (not to mention the poop scooping) that person had considerably cut down their stock.

We moved onto our little 14 acre farm the first week in January of 2012, with 2 horses, 1 dog, and 2 cats in tow.  Previously we were living in the city and boarded our horses at a friend’s farm.  By February, I had my first chicken that I found listed for free on Craig’s List.  Within a couple more months, I had a Rooster, adopted a stray Pit bull, bought a goat and ordered 25 chicks from the hatchery.  Oh, and not to mention the cute baby Easter ducks I couldn’t pass up at Tractor Supply.  I only wanted two, but they had to be sold in lots of six or more, by law.  So now I had six white Peking ducks too! 
"Buffy" the first chicken on the farm...
Then, I decided I wanted to start hatching some eggs.  So I bought an incubator and started hatching chicks, for fun.  It was fascinating.  It still is!  Then my husband brought home another horse, and then my friend gave us a horse.  You can see where this was going, right? 

So this year I slowed it down.  We started butchering chickens for food, which was the plan from the beginning.  And I added a Boer Buckling, with the intent on raising our own goats for meat and sale.  I also have two heritage turkeys, which I am learning as much as I can about before adding more.  I still hatch chickens, but only because we continue to eat them (and also support the local predators)...
 
We did eat the original ducks.  We have three ducks at the moment that someone gave us, but they are likely on the dinner list as well. I am still arguing with the husband over this one. He likes the ducks and wants to keep them. I could care less about them. They shit all over the place.  I’d rather eat them.

My new Bourbon Red and Blue Slate Turkeys
My point (really, there is one!) is that rather than overwhelming yourself in the beginning, it seems to me that starting small, and then deciding what stock you like best, is the way to go.  I began with so many chickens because I already knew I loved raising them and would continue to do so.  But I definitely need to sell a horse or two.  People keep trying to talk me into pigs and cows, but I know I’m not ready yet. 

What are my thoughts for next year?  I’d like to work on building up a line of Heritage Breeds.  Chickens, Turkeys, and hell, maybe a four legged variety as well (rabbits?).  I do want to increase the size of my orchard and garden too.  But that is about it.  One main goal will be to get some additional fencing and shelters in place. 

There you have it.  As far as livestock goes, these are some of my thoughts from my first year and half of owning a farm.  So if you plan on buying a farm, for your own sanity please try (and it will be hard, I know) to contain yourself and start SMALL! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1