Monday, September 9, 2013

The benefits of keeping a Monthly Farm Journal


 

Humans forget stuff.  It’s a fact. Personally, I try really hard to keep track of all the many “to-do lists” of my life.  My job, my husband’s job, our grocery list, our housekeeping needs, auto maintenance schedules, our health (vitamins / exercise, etc.), it’s a wonder I ever manage it all.  If I didn’t keep lists and goals and records, I would never accomplish anything, I ‘m sure.  And because of my seriously selective, short term memory, I quickly figured out the importance of keeping a monthly farm journal right after I acquired my little farm and began building it.      

In simple form, a farm journal forecasts.  It allows you to plan and manage weekly, monthly, seasonally, or yearly, your time and workload, and highlights needs or issues before they pop up like another weed in the garden.  The journal can be as meticulous or laid back as you like, so long as it keeps you on track and works for your personal style. 

I like to keep my journal simple.  I set it up in an Excel spreadsheet with two tables.  One side I list everything that has to be done for the month (and also things I’d like to be done), and on the other side I list things to reference.  Here’s an example of mine in all its simplicity:

 
If I had more time and was more dedicated, I could go as far as listing the daily rainfall, temperatures, what I harvested, what I did, how many eggs were collected, etc., etc., etc.   I am certain my journal will grow and change as I learn more, but for now this serves for me as a good starting point.  And I did I mention I like simple?

Each January, I can look back through all past monthly pages and prepare for the New Year.  Some of the things I want to add to my journal this year are what crops worked, and which ones failed miserably. The same with my livestock – what worked; what didn’t.  I should also list feed prices so I can compare to next year and decide what animals are cost effective and which need to go.

My journal tells me when it’s time to cut the fields, worm livestock, trim hooves, plant garlic, or when it’s time to pick blackberries. It also tells me when the tractors and other farm equipment need servicing.  In short, the journal serves as a priceless, simple reference that saves me time, money and a few headaches along the way.  Do you keep a farm journal?  If so, please share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1