Thursday, July 16, 2015

Burnout

Defined as "exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation, usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration" 

Owning a farm can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.  I've been feeling worn down, lacking focus, and a tad depressed lately.  One of my first and biggest challenges is learning to say "no." 


My calendar is cluttered with commitments that derail my focus and drag me away from the work and projects that I truly want to do, and those that really need to be done around the farm.   By not saying "no" to people, and creating more commitments for myself, I start feeling irritated and resentful that I have to give (or have given) my precious time away to someone or something else.  And on top of that, I often end up feeling like I received nothing of benefit or joy for myself in exchange.



How do you tell someone "no" without hurting their feelings or damaging the relationship?


Last night was one of the few times lately that I've actually gotten caught up with things (just barely though) to spend a few minutes enjoying my surroundings on the farm (and actually make dinner too)!

 
My soul needs more of this quiet time.  I crave it.  It keeps me sane and lets me rest my mind.


Though it sounds horrid of me, I'm going to try to dissuade any visitors from coming to the farm this weekend.  I hope it isn't taken personal by anyone, its just that I have not had but one weekend free to myself in so long I can't even remember.  The farm girl needs this selfish time to herself or she's going to go mad! 


And the weather, damn the weather.  It hasn't even felt like summer, and I still haven't gotten my hay cut and my garden is a complete disaster!  Too much rain.  Enough is enough.

I promise my next post will be more upbeat and I'll show a little gratitude. ~A

Google +1