Monday, December 2, 2013

Farm Happenings

Thanksgiving has come and gone.   The turkey came out magnificent!  I highly recommend using a wet brine to anyone.  I definitely look forward to trying it out on a chicken or two in the near future.

My niece, Ella, was here for the holiday and had a great time messing around with the chickens and bunnies.  She and I even brought a couple into the house to hang out for a while.  Yes, I'm a little strange, and I don't care.  Life is short and its all about having fun and enjoying it while you can.  And the chickens seemed to enjoy getting out of the cold barn and hanging out in a warm kitchen for a bit.


Yesterday I managed to get all of the hen's nest boxes cleaned out and re-stuffed with hay, in the hope they will go off strike and start laying again.  Many of them are coming off their last molt and are still in the process of growing out the last of their new feathers, so I suspect it will be a couple more weeks before they are ready to resume laying.

We also did our second annual cut-your-own Christmas Tree adventure.
The tree this year rocks! Now I just need to find time to decorate it...



Google +1