Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Ant and the Grasshopper

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.

"Why not come and chat with me," said the Grasshopper, "instead of toiling and moiling in that way?"

"I am helping to lay up food for the winter," said the Ant, "and recommend you to do the same."

"Why bother about winter?" said the Grasshopper; "We have got plenty of food at present." But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil.

When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food and found itself dying of hunger - while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer. Then the Grasshopper knew: It is best to prepare for days of need.




This was one of my absolute favorite stories as a child.  I understood the moral of the story clearly, and have adhered to it throughout my life.  It is the wisdom of how one should abide by the virtues of hard work and planning for the future. 

Why am I sharing this story?  Because I’m a dork, and because it pops in to my head every harvest season when people all around are canning produce, chopping fire wood and putting up hay for the winter.  And also because I know a few good Ants…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1