Monday, September 30, 2013

Dog Biscuits

I decided to treat my two dogs to some homemade cheddar dog biscuits this weekend.  The dog biscuits sold in stores don't seem to appealing to them, for the most part, and they're freakin' expensive!  That, and I had a little creative urge I needed to address, AND a very fun dog-bone shaped cookie cutter on hand!

Final result: I thought they tasted pretty darn good, and the dogs appreciated them as well.  Next time I will play around with the ingredients and see what other fun flavors I can come up with.  Scroll down for the recipe...




Dog Biscuits, Cheddar Flavor

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons cheddar cheese powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup ice water

Combine the flour, milk, salt, garlic powder, cheddar powder and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal. Mix in egg; then add enough ice water to make a ball. Add a more water if necessary. 

Pat dough to 1/2" thick on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter or
biscuit cutter, or roll into a small ball and flatten on baking sheet.

Bake on cookie sheet for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Google +1