Friday, August 2, 2013

Fast Food Day

Fast Food is nasty stuff.

A quarter pound beef patty (Is it really beef?) with sweet and smoky honey mustard sauce (no smokiness detected), tomato (or something resembling it), spring mix lettuce (good move there) melted cheddar cheese (no cheddar or cheese flavor detected) and applewood smoked bacon (bacon was just bacon) all on a warm, soft pretzel bun (which was neither warm nor soft nor pretzel-tasting).

Wow! All that wholesome, healthy goodness for only $4.49 (the burger only) and a measly 680 calories!

It’s something I only do a time or two each year, and today was the day. I ate “fast food” for the first time in months. Disgusting… What was I thinking? I’ll refrain from naming the fine dining establishment, because I’m sure you can figure that one out on your own.

The only thing on my burger that had any real flavor was the spring mix lettuce. The whole thing was just icky. They tried to make it pretty, they really did… Believe it or not, some good did come out of my little lunch adventure. It made me start thinking that I want to find a good recipe for pretzel buns to add to my collection of bread recipes. Pretzel buns (real, homemade ones) sounded really good piled high with BBQ pulled pork, or turkey, veggies and cheese, or just about anything for that matter.

So, sometime next week I am planning on giving Jeff Mauro’s (Food Network Chef) recipe a whirl and see how it goes. I will be making burger or sandwich shaped buns however, not hot dogs buns as he does in this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/pretzel-hot-dog-buns-recipe/index.html

Check back and I'll let you know how the recipe turned out.

   

Google +1