Thursday, May 16, 2013

Spring Delights

A couple who shares an interest with my stepfather in the sport of birdwatching stopped by the other evening to visit him.  They inquired about my garden and asked if I had started an asparagus bed, which I had not yet, but was going to do so in the next week or two.  The lady asked if I would like some fresh-picked asparagus from her garden, and of course I replied with an enthusiastic "yes please!" I love asparagus.  I really, really love asparagus!  So she popped open the trunk of her car, and there it was, a fresh picked pile of green and purple heaven!  Beautiful!



 The first thing that came to mind was Asparagus Soup, since the weather was cool and I needed something hot.


Chop Chop...



I had no recipe, so I made it up as I went along.  An onion sauteed in butter and olive oil, followed by the chopped asparagus.  I added chicken broth and simmered until the asparagus was somewhat tender, but not mushy. I hate mushy. 




Once everything was tender I hit the mixture with an emulsion blender, blending it just enough, but still leaving some pieces of asparagus intact.  I tasted it for salt and pepper, then I finished it off in my bowl with a dollop of sour cream and fresh grated parmesan.  I think a drizzle of real cream would have worked too.  And some cubed ham *grin*...


It registered a "9.5" on the "Yum-O" meter.  And, I even had enough left over for my work lunches this week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1