Monday, August 6, 2012

August Is Upon Us!

It’s hard to believe that August is already upon us, which means we only have about a month and a half left of summer. Depressing, since I have spent the majority of spring and summer healing a broken foot and torn ligaments, and I still have a long way to go. I have missed out on getting much done around the farm due to my injury. And now it’s time to stockpile enough hay and bedding for the animals to get us through the winter months. Loading up the hay loft was a big enough job before I broke my foot; now it’s really going to be a challenge! Fortunately, we will be purchasing a much-needed hay elevator this coming Sunday. I’m not sure if bags of bedding can be lifted with it, but at least I know we will now be able to get the hay stocked.


We have a couple of new additions to the farm. This little fuzzy ball of fluff, the resulting combination of my Buff Brahma Bantam hen and Black Copper Maran rooster, was hatched in the incubator on the morning of July 25th. The other three eggs did not hatch unfortunately. I will be putting three more eggs from that pair into the incubator this week, and hope for a better hatch rate this time around. It will be exciting to see what this little guy (or girl?) looks like this spring. It may become dinner if it’s a rooster…


The second addition is this Snowflake Appaloosa mare – a rescue horse from a friend, who is trying to thin down his own herd. She isn’t really much use to us, since she isn’t a racehorse. She needs someone to finish breaking and training her, and the gentleman who gave her to us is growing too old to risk doing the job himself. We’re not sure yet how she’s going to work out. At this point she’s a liability, and the goal of the farm is to limit animals which don’t produce an income, provide a food source or serve in some other way that benefits the farm.

That pretty much does it for updates over the past two weeks. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather finally moving through in the next few days.  And fingers crossed, we're finally going to get some ripe tomatoes from the garden any day now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment or just say hello!

Google +1